MERGE Greenwich is a £1 million, one-year project co-funded by Innovate UK. It will develop a blueprint for a commercial pilot of autonomous ride-sharing service, integrated with Greenwich’s public transport system.
Whilst based in Greenwich the learnings of this exciting project will be transferable and provide an opportunity to improve the way we travel around cities. The project will focus on the social, commercial, and infrastructure challenge of autonomous vehicles and will consider the safety, ride-sharing, security, accessibility, and environmental factors of autonomous ground transport service. The study also focuses on how a flexible and responsive mobility service could benefit both the borough and its residents by reducing costs, the number of journeys and vehicles on our roads – helping both the environmental and improving road safety.
The project is led by the global mobility operator, Addison Lee Group and includes DG Cities, TRL, Ford, Transport Systems Catapult, and Immense Simulations. DG Cities is working to determine the customer offer of the service and what the operating model should be in terms of required infrastructure and the integration of the service with public transport.
- Deliver a plan on how autonomous vehicles and ride-sharing will integrate into public transport systems, focused on the Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Create an advanced simulation and analysis to demonstrate how this integrated solution can benefit consumers, society, and the environment.
- Develop ideas on how to improve the efficiency of the way we travel around cities and how to reduce total vehicle journeys and reduce emissions
- Generate a detailed commercial and business model and optimal vehicle specification.
- Conduct a review of customer barriers to adoption and design considerations to overcome them.
MERGE Greenwich will develop a world first, custom-designed blueprint that showcases the UK’s cutting-edge mobility capability. By reinforcing the UK’s position as a global leader in their field, the country can attract further research and development investment, leading to new jobs, new opportunities, and growth for the economy. The MERGE Greenwich partnership will continue to help pave the way for autonomous vehicles on the streets of London at scale and to provide significantly improved transport. This will put the UK at the forefront of global mobility development.
Connected and autonomous vehicles provide the opportunity to redefine transport in our cities and towns. Offering modern, flexible, and responsive mobility services that can be shared by the public is likely to reduce the cost to the consumer, reduce the number of journeys and vehicles on our roads, and help improve environmental concerns and road safety.